Tuesday 23 January 2007

Episode 17 - Captains Log...Stardate No. 2's

it comes to something when the highlight of your day is coiling one down. Having a plop. Dropping the kids of at the pool. Going for a Richard. Rolling a bum cigar. Exchanging contracts on a log cabin.

Having a crap.

Its been that kind of day. I've recently moved to a new team in the office and initial impressions are not good. For one thing, its quiet - too quiet. I'm used to banter, chat and the general hum of office life - sometimes it can be good fun. I have my moments when I feel quite low and most of the time there is a clown lurking who can make you feel not so grim.

But this new team has had a sense of humour by-pass. I haven't decided whether I should call it the library or the morgue. May they're all just sizing me up........or maybe they really are a miserable bunch of sods.

We had a visit today from one of the top dogs. A turkey necked man in a bad suit who looked at people in the manner that a frog looks at a fly, just before he eats it - dinner with him must have been interesting. I feel sorry for people like this as they've probably never known the love of their mothers.

At the earliest opportunity I left the office and headed home, mostly because I was loosing the will to live and secondly because I had a good book to read. Well, I say good - a bit trashy, but a page turner. Its about nanotechnology gone bad, a cautionary tale, if you will.

Traffic was light for a mid afternoon, but it was cold. Had the air con keeping me toasty as I listened to my usual radio station. Every now and then I wonder what the presenters look like, as a voice can sometimes conjure up a face in your imagination. In work we take a lot telephone calls from posh solicitors and occasionally you get what sounds like a fantastic looking woman. But as one of mates said, "Girl on the 'phone, add two stone."

Maybe they're all bloaters on the radio, too?

Found my father-in-law dozing on the settee when i got home. He'd caught the bus up and was staying for tea. There was a bit of an atmosphere over food and it wasn't until after I took him home that my wife spilt the beans.

If the truth be told, my father-in-law is a bit of a nob, for reasons that are too numerous to go into here. Keeping it brief, he has five children - four sons (one's dead) and a daughter - my wife. The three remaining sons are a bunch of wasters and have between them stripped the family wealth (such as it was) bare. He's forever singing their praises which amounts to rubbing my wife's nose in it. She's worked hard bringing up a family, doing a degree (she's in her second year) and generally be an all round good egg. Does her father acknowledge this? Does he f.......

As you may have guessed, this is not a good day.

No comments: