Thursday 8 February 2007

Episode 26 - Panic On The Streets Of Everywhere

Over the last few days, there have been rumblings in the weather news about snow. Lots of it, too. And being the UK, people mostly, well, panic. They all jump in their cars and bugger off down to Tescos where they all stock up on bread, milk and other stuff, that unless something fairly apocalyptic happens, the shops never run out of. But because snow is due, everyone goes mad.

Last night at the rugby the talk was of snow - how much, how deep, where and when. Some one mentioned sleet - oh no, I've bought 20 loves of bread and planned a day off and you're telling me its only going to sleet!? But I'm prepared and by golly it had better snow!! Gary has a bad heart but we're all worried about the snow. And freezing our arses off watching our kids run around with an egg shaped ball.

The weather men got it right and it did indeed snow - lots of it. Predictably the areas affected ground to a halt, offices and workplaces up and down the land ringing to the sound of phone chiming the imminent non arrival off staff who don't fancy the roads much.

Hey, I was one of them. I did try but after seeing a few cars stuffed into the central reservation on the M4 I lost my bottle and turned back. Let's face it. No one is going to thank me for getting my self damaged trying to get to work? Besides, any excuse.

The street soon filled up with children fighting pitched battles with each other, snow balls arcing across from one gang to another. One little twat thought it amusing to see if he could put my patios doors through by throwing the largest snow balls imaginable. Not amused, was I.

Funny thing is, much later in the day the snow has virtually gone. Panic over until the next time. Imagine if we lived in Sweden!!! They get tons of the stuff and it doesn't bother them. If it happened here, we'd be f.........

No comments: