Friday 2 February 2007

Episode 23 - Doing The Loop

I do the loop almost every week day.

At 12 o'clock (mostly) I leave my desk, collect my lunchtime buddies and head off down the High Street - to get some air and to stretch the legs. The High Street is an interesting place.

In so much that all human life is there. From shoppers to drug dealers, wino's to the cream of the civil service (tongue placed firmly in cheek). So, it is through this motley lot that I pick my way each day. Trust me when I say a bomb would very much improve the place.

We mostly go to the same old places, sticking to the familiar and not straying to far. Grab a sandwich, buy a paper, look at clothes, sometimes we even buy clothes, look at other stuff etc. Sometimes we try and put the world to rights, or talk of our little triumphs or share our moments of saddness.

Today, Simon is choosing a shirt for his brother-in-law. When Simon buys stuff he tends to umm and ahh for some time before taking the plunge, buying an item, taking it home and then bringing it back the next day because he's changed his mind or its too.......something. It can be very entertaining watching his inner struggle, and this shirt was no different. "Is this a bit too pink?" "Not sure if black will do......" "Oh dear, a stain!"

For the love of God!!!!! Just give him some fucking money so he can buy his own shirt!!!!!!

Oh, and it couldn't be more than a tenner. Something really expensive like a car or a plot of land and he's right in there. As he says himself, "Go figure...."

As much as its a break from the mindless drudgery of the job, I look to a day when I don't have tip toe through the scum of the earth every lunchtime.

Should've paid attention in school and got a proper job.

No comments: